Hardship Protest: Kwankwaso Urges Nigerians To Use ‘Ballot Box’ For Change Instead Of Protesting

I

Ikenna Ngere

Kwankwaso Not Planning To Join APC - NNPP National Chairman

The national leader of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), Rabiu Kwankwaso, has called on protest organizers to shift their focus from the planned nationwide protest on August 1, 2024, to promoting change via democratic elections.​

In a statement released on Friday night, the former Kano State Governor emphasized that democratic change through elections is a more effective strategy against an incompetent government than protests.

He argued that sustainable change can only be achieved by exercising the power of the ballot.

Kwankwaso expressed his thoughts on the current challenges facing Nigeria, attributing the nation’s hardships to missteps by leadership since 2007.

He acknowledged that these challenges can be rectified, and the nation can be redirected towards economic development, prosperity, and improved welfare for its citizens.

Kwankwaso pointed out several crises that have arisen from poor governance, including federal interference in Kano State’s chieftaincy matters, the impeachment of Edo State’s Deputy Governor, political instability in Rivers State, and the widespread insecurity affecting the nation.

According to Kwankwaso, these issues reflect a lack of accountability and transparency among leaders.

While recognizing the recent calls for protests as a sign of the public’s frustration and desire for a better Nigeria, Kwankwaso cautioned against the potential consequences of such actions. He advised Nigerians to harness the power of their votes as the most effective tool for transformation.

Kwankwaso warned that protests, while a fundamental democratic right, often escalates into violence, resulting in loss of life, property destruction, and widespread chaos.

The statement read, “It is with a deep sense of responsibility that I share my thoughts on the current situation in Nigeria.

“We find ourselves in avoidable hardship because our leaders missed some steps since 2007.

“However, there is always room for correction and setting the country on the right track for economic development, prosperity, and better welfare of citizens.

“Interferences by the Federal Government into the affairs of the chieftaincy matters in Kano State, impeachment of the Deputy Governor of Edo State, political crisis in Rivers State, sabotage to AIiko Dangote refinery, controversies surrounding SAMOA agreement, the conflict between Sen. Ali Ndume and the APC Leadership, widespread insecurity and other criminal acts are a few examples of avoidable and unnecessary crises.

“It is sad to note that the attitude of our leaders to poor governance has plunged the citizens, especially youth, into hunger, insecurity, hopelessness, and a sense of giving up on the country.

“In these trying times, our nation stands at a crossroads. Our collective frustration with bad governance has reached a boiling point, and the urge to protest is strong.

“As an elder and patriotic Nigerian, I share your concerns and your desire for change.

“However, I urge you to consider the consequences of national protests and to channel your energy into a more effective and peaceful means of transformation through the power of your ballot.

“The repercussions of such actions extend far beyond the immediate moment, leaving scars on our communities and deepening divisions among us.

“I speak to you not just as an elder and a concerned citizen but as someone who deeply believes in the power and potential of our great nation.

“Let us put our country first and work together to build the Nigeria we all aspire to see,
” he advocated.

The post Hardship Protest: Kwankwaso Urges Nigerians To Use ‘Ballot Box’ For Change Instead Of Protesting appeared first on Naija News.

Back